Call for Submission of Grant Proposals Focusing on Visual Antisemitism and Making Use of the Arthur Langerman Archive for the Study of Visual Antisemitism (ALAVA)
We invite funding applications for projects that reflect the Arthur Langerman Foundation‘s mission: to support research, education, art and culture that contributes to the fight against antisemitism addition, projects should make use of the Langerman collection for research and exhibitions, and should contribute to its preservation, practical use, and expansion in the best possible way.
Grants can support these goals in many ways, including through
- support for research projects,
- subsidies for printing costs,
- awarding of research commissions,
- awarding of scholarships,
- support for educational projects and cultural institutions, exhibitions and museums as well as publications,
- support for and organization of national and international exchange in the categories of research, culture, education as well as in the exhibition and museum sector.
Projects that share the aforementioned goals may apply to ALAVA in Berlin for funding, suggested minimum of 2,000 euros, and up to 20,000 euros. We will additionally subsidize travel expenses to Berlin.
Your project must take on the topic of antisemitism and must use the Langerman collection or have a concrete connection to it. Describe your project, its concrete goals and expected outcome, and the role the collection would play in that project.
In general, the higher the funding amount requested, the more detailed the project description and evidence of your qualifications should be. The description should not exceed ten pages. If you are applying for a grant of 2,000 euros, a proposal of no more than three pages will suffice.
The application should include your resume (CV) and a detailed description of your qualifications for pursuing the proposed project. If your previous work is relevant in that sense, please include a list of that work, along with references and peer reviews if available. Depending on the amount of financial support requested, the evidence of your qualifications should be between three and six pages in length.
Please include two references whom we may contact if we have any questions about your work and/or with regard to its relation to our mission.
Timing of Application
Proposals may be submitted at any time. They are reviewed at our biannual committee meetings, which typically take place in June and November.
The decision to award funding is at the discretion of our Selection Committee, which is composed of members of the board of the Arthur Langerman Foundation and qualified employees of the TU Berlin. Decisions depend in part on the financial resources that ALAVA has available for grants in any given year. No explanations are given for the rejection or acceptance of project applications: We receive many applications, and a rejection should never be interpreted as a negative judgment about your project or your qualifications. We look forward to receiving applications from around the world. Please compose your application in English or German. There will be no reimbursement of costs associated with the application.
How Do I Apply?
Please send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following documents:
- a current resume (CV) of all persons involved in the application,
- your project proposal with – a project description, and – a statement regarding the kinds of archival materials needed, why they are relevant for the project, and how they would be used,
- an explanation of why you and/or your team are qualified to accomplish your stated goals,
- a list including the steps and concrete product of your project, as well as its potential impact,
- a timetable showing the completion of each stage of the project,
- a detailed budget for the requested funding,
- a list of references whom we can contact, including their institutional affiliations and e-mail addresses,
- a listing of previous work relevant to this grant application.
These documents should be sent as PDF attachments and should be in English or German (with the exception of lists of past work).
We will contact you if we need further information, and will let you know as soon as a decision has been made regarding your application.